Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Twitter? wtf?

Posted at Twitter.com

Peter · October 8 2008, 12:48 AM
This is what I DID:
Signed up to get connected with NetSolCares.

This is what I EXPECTED to happen:
- To achieve my purpose: Search for NetSolCares and get hooked in to their community.

- Learn what the heck this site is and does.

- Find answers about this place.

- Find out "what the big deal is."

- Use it intuitively and get explanations and help when it doesn't conform to expectations.

- Locate support Forums for more information.

- Get back to work soon.

This is what ACTUALLY happened:
I was confused. I got lost. I searched for far longer than I felt I needed to. I kept getting asked for my email address when I was just trying to find a SEARCH feature for other user accounts.

I FINALLY found NetSolCares after way too long, not by using the search feature, but just by truncating the URL and HAND TYPING IN "https://twitter.com/NetSolCares".

Then I got to the page and I asked myself, "What the hell?"

What was this Twitter thing for? Why was I told to come here? What was I supposed to do when I did get here? Where's the help?

I finally found an FAQ. It didn't answer my questions. Like...

- Why in the world would I use this social networking site over others?

- Why is Network Solutions telling people to use Twitter? What is the purpose of their Twitter account here?

- How can this synch with my cell phone or computer calendar so I don't need to dink with manual updates? I have to live my life, not "feed the beast" of the Internet.

- How could this interact with other social networking sites, Internet calendaring systems, or other applications so I don't need to keep coming here to tell people where I am?

- I've wasted far longer typing this in than I got utility value of using a "simple" application.

FINALLY: You left out the key question at the end of your "Request for Assistance," which is the REQUEST FOR ASSISTANCE!!!!!!

Like, where on this form does it say, "What would you like for us to do for you?" Or "Do you have any suggestions to make Twitter better?" Or "How can we help or be of assistance?"

- Pretend like you never used this site, and look at it with fresh eyes. It really doesn't explain itself too well.

- Add in a "request" question so that you are not just listening to people tell you about problems, but let them ask for their redress of grievances or allow them to offer suggestions for improvements.

- Actually have some pragmatic purpose to the universe. This was a waste of my time -- so far -- unless there's something about this site that I utterly don't get.

- Please contact me -- BY PHONE (650-906-3134) -- to prove to me this is an actual business that cares about me, so I actually might care enough about using this service again.

I have some questions about utility value and pragmatics of this service. I blog about the good, bad, and the ugly of services.

Unless proven otherwise, I'd have to rate this experience so far as either of the latter two categories.

Hope you see that as fair?

No comments: